Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Cleaning with Borax

Since moving out on my own I have been on the search for cleaning products that work. I have to admit I'm a sucker for attractive, delicious smelling products. The one thing I've learned is that these "attractive, delicious smelling products" are not always so effective and can be pretty pricey (not to mention being potent to your health). So when I found this natural cleaning remedy on Pinterest I was excited but also a bit sceptical. I mean, could natural products possibly clean any better or even come close to cleaning as well as my store bought products? I quickly found out that the answer was YES!!! 

For the natural cleaning solution I'm going to show today you'll need Borax (I picked mine up in the laundry isle at the grocery store), watercontainer of some sort, and something to scrub with (I use an old toothbrush). Once you have these items you're ready to go!

Step One: Simply dump the desired amount of Borax you think you'll need into container.


Step Two: Gradually add small amounts of water to Borax until you've formed a paste. I use the toothbrush to swirl the Borax around while I'm adding the water.


Step Three: Dip the scrubber into paste and apply where needed. VOILA!



I've used this paste to clean my tub, sinks, toilets,  AND EVEN STAINS IN MY CARPET! (Note: To remove carpet stains follow same steps as above except let the Borax paste sit for 15 minutes or until desired. Then vacuum up.)

Since finding natural cleaning solutions, like this Borax paste, it has become my goal to replace as many toxic cleaning products as I can in my household. What about you? Do you have any natural cleaning solutions or tips?

The Teaching Intern Disclaimer: Pre-test solution on hidden area for suitability prior to cleaning. This post is a variation of the original post from my previous blog.

5 comments:

  1. I was glad to find this. I've had a box of Borax sitting in my cupboard for months after making a few batches of homemade laundry soap. Thanks for the tip.

    (Please come visit me at ReadMyChickenScratch.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky! I'm glad I could help :) I should definitely try making some homemade laundry soap with it. Good idea! The 'Blackberry Crumble Cookie Bars' on your blog look delicious! I'm now following you on Bloglovin'!

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Great ideas! Thanks for linking up at Pin It Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pary! I've officially 'liked' your FB page :)

      Delete
  3. Great tip! I didn't know you could use Borax for much aside from making your own laundry detergent I guess I just saw it on Pinterest so much that it automatically became ingrained in my brain that borax = laundry detergent lol.

    Also, I thought I'd let you know that I tried to follow you on G+ and through RSS and the links aren't working. I did follow you through Facebook and Pinterest though :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...